Monday, June 1, 2015

The Lord's Cheeps!

I just got your package. Thank you very much for the pens and everything. My comp didn’t like the dried pears but he did love the huge chocolate bar! It was a good taste of home. Thanks.
I paid for the wedding of one of our investigators.

They didn’t have any money and the ward didn’t want to pay for it. My comp and I pooled our money to pay for the wedding. (I also pulled some money out of my US account because we have been without money for a week and I was just dying of hunger! We need money to be able to work this week.)

I am learning a lot from my time in this area.
1. I actually know how it feels to not have a single peso and to be so hungry that you can hardly sleep
2. I know that god answers prayers fast!. One morning this week we were walking in a colony called San Miguel Tlaixpan up in the mountains. I was super hungry and without energy. I only had enough money to take a combi back down to the valley after we were done there, but I didn’t even have the energy to keep working. In my heart I told the lord that I needed to eat something. I was explaining that I was going to buy something in a little store and hope that he would provide a way for us to get home. Right as I was thinking about this a huge truck,of Sabritos, or in english I think its lays like the chip brand, pulled up in front of us and the driver was  the husband of a recent convert that I did the baptismal interview for. I worked with he and his family when I was on divisions. After chatting, he gave us each a free little bag of Doritos! It wasn’t very much to eat but enough to break my 24 hour fast and keep on working. They literally were “the Lord’s chips.” (A quote from Nacho Libre) God answers my prayers with Nacho Libre Humor!

Later we visited some members that gave us breakfast. Pretty awesome.

    I also want to explain to you some of the food we eat here regularly because it is pretty funny. One of the most common dishes here that all of the gringo missionaries hate is called chicharon en salsa verde.


It is slices of pig hide in spicy green salsa with little squares of cactus. The salsa and cactus are pretty good but the pig hide is one of the grossest things ever!  The only way to eat it is with a lot of tortilla.

Some other foods that are interesting but that I don’t like are chicken foot soup, cow intestine tacos and cow brain quesadillas (nasty but durable.)

Danielle would hate it here because they eat crema with everything. Crema here is like sour cream but not sour, just cream and they put it on everything! We eat it on tacos, enchiladas, soup….. and then after the meal they take everything away and just leave the cream to put it on your dessert of jello, fruit or whatever else they bring out. The cream with fruit is actually pretty good, but the first time I saw them put the same taco cream on fruit it scared me because I thought it was sour cream.

They also have this awesome fruit that I have never seen in my life but it is called a lichi. Mango used to be my favorite fruit until i tried this one and now it is this.
The lichi is a little ball that had a red shell with little spikes on the outside but when you open it up it is super white and glowing. On the outside it looks like the fruit from the tree of good and evil but inside it is like the tree of life! And its taste is unlike anything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment