Tuesday, June 2, 2015

June 1, 2015


Tell Madi Feliz cumpleaños! When is she going to take her permit test?  Well tell her happy birthday and to be careful driving because everyone drives like they want to kill you! (Or maybe that’s just here in Mexico.) I’ve got some more funny stories for you.

The other day we were walking through a parking lot of some apartment buildings and we saw a police car pull in and drive around slowly in the lot. Then they stopped. One of them got out of his car and stole a hub cap off of one of the nicer cars in the lot because they were missing one! Then they drove off, very content to have a good looking car again. At first I was shocked that the cops would do that,... but then I just laughed because 
...I’m in Mexico!

Monday night we were up near the mountains walking home around 9:00 and over one of the mountains that is called Hill of the Promise we saw a bunch of lights flashing in a huge storm of clouds. It looked like a war was happening on the mountain, then I thought it was the volcano Popocatepetl exploding because it has been actively smoking for a few weeks. Finally I realized it was an electric storm. It was a normal storm but with 100X more lightning!  There was never a moment without lightning!
The following day we got stuck in a similar storm and lightning was hitting the ground everywhere! Because the city of Mexico is built in a lake bed, there is nowhere for the water to go! So all of the streets become rivers that are unpassable, and when the cars speed by they soak you!  
One day we went to a food appointment, but the sister didn’t have gas to cook the food, so my boy scout skills came in handy! We made a fire on the roof in the rain to cook our food. It was quite a delicious meal... but the meat was not completely cooked so my comp and I bought a Coca Cola afterwards to kill whatever was in our stomach. We haven’t gotten sick yet so I guess it works!
Everything here is great now because we just received some money on our cards, so don’t worry about me starving anymore. I also have money saved up to buy gas tomorrow so we can shower with hot water instead of bathing with buckets of water heated up with the iron. So life is going to be good again!
Te Amo,
Elder Shumway

No comments:

Post a Comment