Thursday, February 26, 2015

Feeling the Spirit

 We had a cool experience this week. When I was with my trainer, Elder Gutierrez de Chile, we contacted a family that we felt were "chosen". However after a lot of time of teaching them and visiting them, they still wouldn't come to church. First because the mom was pregnant and then they had the baby, and there was just one excuse after another. We have spent a ton of time teaching them. 

One day with my new companion I decided that we were not going to visit them so they could notice the difference and recognize the absence of the Spirit. For 3 weeks we didn't visit them. until one day I received a message from them and they wanted us to go visit them. 

On the way to the visit I explained to my comp, Elder Avila de Veracruz, that we needed to discern if they missed us as missionaries or if they missed the Spirit in their house. He asked me how we could tell the difference and so I explained it to him in a very basic way. I told him that we would be able to tell. 

As we were teaching the lesson, the wife said that her husband had commented to her in the week that he always felt peace and calm when we were there, and that he missed the peace that we bring. This was the first clue that they missed the Spirit. Then the wife told us that in the 3 weeks we didn't stop by they started having problems in the family and one night they fought so badly that the husband had to sleep in his car. 

We read the story of Enos and his conversion, then set a baptismal date with the husband. It is amazing how the promises of preach my gospel and the influence of the Spirit can affect our lives. 

Thank you for everything Mom and all is well here. I love you and pray for you much.

 Elder Shumway

No comments:

Post a Comment